Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Blue diamonds

It all starts with a strand of beads. Right?
I split a strand of blue diamonds with my beading bestie who went to the Vegas bead show. 

Diamonds, I have learned, are really really sparkly. Rough cut, colored, big, small, they all really sparkle. 

Then I went to make a long blue diamond necklace but the wire I had (28g) wouldn't fit. So I got thinner 30 gauge and we were in business. However, this was blinding work. The holes in the already small beads were tiny and hard to see. (Yes, bigger diamonds would have broken the bank.) 

To save my sanity I linked the diamonds together but added sections of chain so I could "cheat" a bit. Here is what I made. But........

I found that I never wore it. Something about it. Too dainty, too something. So I oxidized the silver. (That means I made it tarnish on purpose to turn the wire all black.) 

I wanted to add a little more sizzle so I laid out some options. 

See how making the wire black changed the delicate to a bit more rocker/funky? It gives the necklace more weight, I think. But I didn't love love love these. A few more options were laid out. 

And the winner is......

And this is what it looks like, on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment